12.09.2006

the crispy paper napkin requires assistance from a grand piano

I had real Karmatic moment today. I was going shopping for a secret santa gift for a co-worker, and as I walked down the sidewalk on my street, I saw a guy pushing his truck, his wife steering from inside. I offered a hand, and helped push the truck to the curb, but it wouldn't go too far because the bumper had been crushed into the wheel well. The guy and I tried to pull it away from the tire, but it wouldn't budge. I stood up and noticed that they had a baby seat inside the truck. I inquired if everyone was okay, and he assured me that he hadbeen driving and they were ok. They semed really happy that I had stopped and helped, and I felt really good about having done it. I wished them luck and safety, and then continued to walk to a nearby bookstore. I first came across a perfect gift of The Areas of My Expertise, by John Hodgman, a book of which I am a huge fan. I was delighted to see that the book had been marked down quite a bit, and it would make a perfect gift for the co-worker, but I wanted to see what else they had. I soon came across THIS, which I think I have seen or heard of before, but had forgotten all about. The book was missing the CD, so it was out as a gift, but I thought it would make a nice little addition to my home li-bary. The sticker price was less than what the book originally had cost, but still more than I wanted to pay ($14). I went to the counter and showed the clerk/owner/guy that the CD was missing, in hopes that he would knock off a couple of bucks from the cost. No such luck. Instead he said, "Oh, no, I guess I overlooked that. Well, it's worthless then. You can just have it." So he peeled the sticker off and handed it to me on the house. I thanked him and paid for the other book, and went on my way to find another part of the secret santa gift. Further down the street, a homeless guy asked me for change. I gave him what I had in my pocket, just in case.

No comments: