8.02.2010

Blog-ust: Being Creative to be a More Creative Creative

My epic, over dramatic post yesterday made me think about my recent creative endeavors and the amount of time I spend doing them. I also started thinking about creativity in general, and though I have a project I am working on that will launch in the near future, I wanted to use my momentum to write something today, too.

I'm going to do a little experiment I'm calling Blog-ust. Yes, you're reading that pun right, and I'm sure its been used before, but for all intents and purposes, I made it up. For those of you who don't know, I make my living as a blogger. I'm a social media copywriter, to be specific, but I spend a lot of time writing blog posts for my clients. So much, in fact, that I don't often find the time to do exactly what I am doing right now: blogging for myself and for those of you who care enough about my life to read what I have to write.  (Not that those of you who DON'T read this don't care about my life, you just don't have time. I understand.)



Throughout the month of August, I'm going to try and remedy my lack of blogging for myself. I don't promise a post every day, or even promise to write anything of value, but I will update a lot more regularly than I have been. I'm doing this for several reasons:
  • I want to be better at my job. 
  • I want to be a better writer in general. 
  • I want to learn to love writing again. 
  • I want to better understand how creativity plays a role in my life. 
  • Chicks, man. 
Here are some of the creative things that I've been doing lately:
  • playing guitar
  • client work
  • writing
  • taking pictures
Here are some creative things I want to start doing:
  • sculpture
  • novel
  • painting
  • more musical instruments (piano?) 
  • martial arts 
  • more writing & blogging
Who knows if I'll do anything on that list, but I've been giving those things a lot of thought, at least.

Thanks for reading, friends. I appreciate your comments and thoughts. I like to think I am not alone in a generation who seems to value art and creativity and big crazy dreams.

-JSG

No comments: