8.12.2010

Wolf Nipple Foofaraw

I had a blast tonight with a fun group of people over at The Pinhook. Wolf Nipple Foofaraw, hosted by Megan Stein, was a conglomerate of area musicians who get together periodically to jam out with acoustic instruments. The intent is to encourage musicians of varying skill levels to play together in order to have fun and play kick ass music. It worked for me. I've been playing guitar for less than a year now, and this was the first time other than playing with Cameron on the front porch that I have played with other people. I felt I could hold my own enough to keep rhythm and play most of the chords, but whether I played well or not, the experience was a lot of fun and a good chance to hang out and play with other musicians.

Everyone was very accepting and friendly, and I have to hand it to the guys whom I followed for keeping it at a pace I could keep up with. We played some country greats, and some classic rock, including Dylan, The Band, and others. The group was about 12 strong, complete with a drummer, a mandolinist, a uker, a violinist, and a dude with a washtub bass. Yes, it was awesome.

After a while, people started to peel off and only a few of us remained. During a particularly decadent hoedown, we were joined by two gentlemen who I can only describe as "digging it." One of them broke out a harmonica and jammed with us for a while, and the other stomped and "freestyled" while we "jamboreed." He insisted on telling me to "pick that sh*t, mutha f*ck*!" and poked me and put his arm around me while I played the mandolin (rather well, considering) and I could basically taste the battery smell of malt-beverage-energy-drink on his breath.

Nonetheless, I had an awesome time jamming with Megan and friends, and it certainly inspired me in a way I haven't felt in a while.

-JSG

No comments: