8.22.2009

Here's What's Up

So, as I noted in my previous post, I have a few updates since I last blogged. In fact, a lot has changed, but I am only going to recap the more recent events. However, I will say that the past year feels like I was sleepwalking. I don't know that I've ever been so down and out in my life as I was from 08.08 - 06.09. You might know my tendency for being a bit over dramatic at times, but honestly, there was a lot of crap going on that forced me to change. I was resistant at first, but I now realize those changes have ultimately been the best thing for me. Anyway, here are some things that have happened recently:

  • I officially broke off my involvement with DSI. I wish I could say there are no hard feelings, but honestly, there are. I feel like I might have lost friends as a result of this, but there are a few whom I'd like to maintain a friendship with. This break was quite significant because improv and comedy have been a huge part of my life for the past decade, and now that I am not spending my time doing it, I feel like I have time to do some of the other things I want to. My plan is to work on doing more stand up and comedic writing to fill the void, as my creative process has become more of an individual endeavor. And maybe that comes from not feeling like I can trust others to support me in what I do. One door closes, another opens, yes?
  • My job is awesome, and is taking up a lot of my time. I found myself checking and responding to emails at the bar last night. That's dedication, friends. Things are busy right now, but that's awesome.
  • I am now a Durhamite. I moved in with my friend Ryan, whom I've known since college. We lived together before in 2000, and things have changed / not changed. I also have another roommate named Cameron, and he is good people, too. Our place is amazing. Loads of square footage and space, and I've even taken steps to make this place really feel like more of a home than a house. So far, so good. Oh, and the 4th roommate is an old friend, too. His name is Zen / Brandon / Jessica, and he's a cat.
  • I bought a brand new car. Yes, it was expensive and a quick decision, but it was necessary as the old one was on his way out, and I needed to think fast. Unfortunately, it didn't qualify as a "clunker" though. Meh, oh well.
  • My folks finally got out of Florida, and they seem to be very happy. My sister got engaged to a guy she really loves, so I am happy for her. It looks like the Griffins have made it through a dark spot over the past year+, but things are looking up, and that makes me happy, too.
  • Lastly, I've been doing some online dating, and it has been a great experience. I've been out with several girls, some of whom I had good chemistry with, others I didn't, and others still that there was interest, but not worth maintaining. HOWEVER, I did find someone I really like. She is a musician, a writer, and a genius. All that and stunning. I think she might like me, too, which makes it even better. I'll expand more on this in the future.

That's it for now, I suppose. Ryan and I are going to see Inglorious Basterds, which I've heard was great. We'll see. Expect a review soon. Cheers
-JSG


No comments: