9.27.2006

You ain't machines and You ain't men

I have recently aquired from an unnamed source something that I am very excited about, and that folks, is Sun Kil Moon's Tiny Cities. For those of you in the loop, you know I am a huge Modest Mouse fan, and this is a "reimagined" collection of some of their best songs. It's very paired down and simple, but still maintains its gravity. The guy's voice is totally different than Isaac's, and there is some nice acoustic guitar and some strings that add a whole lot, too. Some of the songs are almost "folky" sounding, which I think is a really nice touch. I don't think it has officially hit stores yet, but man, you should really buy it if you know what's good for ya.

What else you jivin' on lately, turkey turkey? you are probably asking right now. Good, I'm glad you did. So, here is a quick list of what I am enjoying right now.

The Mars Volta - Amputechture: Man, this band completely amazes me. Their progression in substance and style is always really exciting, and this album just feels right for what music needs right now.

McSweeney's: Eggers and his crew never cease to amaze me. Be careful, you could spend a few hours here if you ain't careful.

Peanut Butter Hershey's Kisses: Holy shit. These things are certifiably amazing. Like little Reese's cups but better. Good flavor, great consistency.

Daniel Clowes: I still haven't seen Art School Confidential, but I feel like I need to see it real soon.

Gumshoes

Studio 60: Good writing, good acting. Like West Wing without all the stuff I don't understand.

I might update this as it changes. Wouldn't that be fun? Maybe some sort of Hot or Not list? Ok, I will think of something clever. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Clowes, I hope you've read Ice Haven.

Anonymous said...

Sun Kil Moon's Tiny Cities
Original Release Date: November 1, 2005

unless jason gives me something, assume i was NOT the first to hear about it.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! you love the Sun Kil Moon cd. They're lovable. Their other album (of their stuff) is really good also. Plus, the lead dude used to be the lead Red House Painters dude and their stuff is worth checking out.